Fires can strike at any time, but did you know there is a time of year when residential fires increase? The holidays are when more home fires happen than at any other time. Thanksgiving Day tops the list, with Christmas Eve following right after. Christmas Day is next on the list. More cooking takes place as well as candle use. Decorations are placed too close to heat sources, and things like Christmas trees can go up in flames. We hope no one has to experience a house fire at any time, but if you do, Hometown Restoration offers residential fire damage restoration in San Diego.
Holiday Tips for Staying Safe
There are some things you can do to ensure your holidays are happy and safe. These tips could help save a life.
- Never burn candles in bedrooms or sleeping areas.
- Consider flameless candles for the holidays.
- Keep combustibles away from heat sources.
- Never walk away from the stove when cooking.
- Avoid wearing clothes with long trailing sleeves when cooking.
- Keep baking soda and a fire extinguisher handy for kitchen fires.
- Make sure your smoke alarm batteries are working.
- Inspect holiday lights and discard worn out or frayed strings.
- Keep live Christmas trees well-watered.
By following these few simple tips, you can avoid the common reasons for fires during the holiday season.
Small Fires Big Problems
Even small fires can cause smoke damage. If you experience a house fire, you should seek fire damage restoration in San Diego. Hometown Restoration can root out smoke residue and soot from the tiniest cracks and crevices. We clean and repair your home and remove the foul odor that comes with smoke & soot. Contact us today at (760) 274-8016.