Many people love burning candles. The scents, especially during the fall and winter season, are heavenly. According to the National Fire Prevention Association, December is when more candle fires occur than any other month. Burning candles in the bedroom is the cause of one-third of these fires. Candle accidents can happen at any time of year, and when they do, you need fire damage restoration in Cardiff to ensure your interior gets restored to pre-loss condition.
Tips for Safe Candle Use
If you enjoy candles, there are some things you can do to prevent fire hazards. They are all easy to employ and can save you from a deadly fire. No candle is worth putting your family at risk. Here are some suggestions on the best way to enjoy candles:
- Keep flammables at least a foot away from open flames. This is one of the leading causes of candle fires.
- Blow out your candles when leaving the room.
- Don’t let the candle burn down to the base.
- Use sturdy candle holders that won’t tip over easily.
- Never let kids or pets alone where there are candles burning.
- Watch your hair and clothing near candles.
- Consider flameless candles as an option.
- Do not light candles and leave burning or unattended in sleeping areas.
- Avoid using candles without supervision if a power outage occurs.
One way to make sure a fire gets detected early is to have plenty of smoke detectors in your home. You should have at least one sensor installed on every floor. It is wise to have one in each bedroom. A fire can spread a lot quicker than you can ever imagine. Even small fires can have lasting effects and cause damage throughout the entire house.